Green infrastructure and water sustainability --- the Comox Valley on Vancouver Island is a provincial demonstration region for showcasing the benefits of a ‘regional team approach’. A convergence of interests has created an opportunity for the four local governments to set their sights on the common good, challenge the old barriers of jurisdictional interests, and align efforts at a watershed scale.
“Commencing in 2007, the four governments in the Comox Valley have been collaborating under the umbrella of Convening for Action on Vancouver Island, known by the acronym CAVI. Through a program of continuing education, we are aligning efforts, building leadership capacity, and striving for consistency at our front counters,” reports Glenn Westendorp, Public Works Superintendent with the Town of Comox, and Chair for the 2011 Learning Lunch Seminar Series.
“The theme for the 2011 Series is A Regional Response to Infrastructure Liability. The initial capital cost of municipal infrastructure is about 20% of the life-cycle cost. The other 80% represents an unfunded liability. This is a driver for a change in the way local governments plan, finance, implement and over time replace infrastructure. The 2011 Series will focus on why and how all those involved in land development have a role to play in achieving Sustainable Service Delivery.”
To learn more, click on Sustainable Service Delivery: Comox Valley Local Governments Release Program Details for 2011 Learning Lunch Series.
News Release #2011-08
March 1, 2011